Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Wordless Wednesday ~ Passport Photos

Ancestry.com's U.S. Passport Applications, 1795-1925, is a great database to explore. Many of the passport applications from the early 1900s include photographs.

Recently I was exploring my connection to the Rockefeller family and came across the following passport photos for my second great uncle and his wife and daughter from April 1921.

David Hunter McAlpin

Emma Rockefeller McAlpin

Elaine Rockefeller McAlpin

I love the fact that they all signed their full names on their passport photos.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, this sounds like an amazing data set. I'm not currently a member of Ancestry.com. This post makes we want to join.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this database can be a great resource. Sometimes you can find an applicant's father's name listed, and sometimes you get a pretty good photo of the person. Unfortunately, these are not great photos, but you can get an idea of what the person looked like. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. I am so glad you found something. I know that my Great Aunt Elizabeth traveled close to the time period of these records. I'm hoping to find her some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Devon, keep looking! It's fun to find relatives who traveled in the early part of the 20th century, especially when you can find passport applications.

      As always, thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete