Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Wordless Wednesday ~ Bald Mary

Helen, my maternal grandmother, was the youngest of five sisters (Marion, b. 1899; Caroline, b. 1900; Mary, b. 1903; Margaret, b. 1905; Helen, b. 1907).

The family story is that, when she was young, middle sister Mary had scarlet fever and had her head shaved to aid in her recovery. I have many photographs from this side of the family and have three showing a bald great aunt Mary:

Margaret, Mary, and I believe Helen (my grandmother) in the background.


Margaret, Mary (standing on the bed), and Marguerite, their mother.

Marion, Margaret, Helen Rainey Hunter (aunt of the sisters), Caroline, Mary.

Based on how old the girls look, I am guessing that these photos were all taken in late 1907 or early 1908. The family lived in Allegheny City, Pennsylvania at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment