Sunday, August 5, 2012

Another 1940 Census Find - Edgar Rust in California

As noted in my previous post, indexes for the 1940 census are being made available at both Ancestry.com and at FamilySearch.org. When I noticed last week that Massachusetts was available at Ancestry.com, I made a point to search for Edgar Rust, born about 1882 in Massachusetts, in order to provide corrections in the index for just about everyone in the household due to the errors, not in the indexing, but in the enumeration. See here for my analysis of that household.

In recreating the search today, this is what I see:


I won't detail the corrections I had to make for the Rust family in Newton, but you can see that one correction I made was to Edgar's name which was indexed as Edna!

Last week, before I made that correction, it was the Edgar C. Rust in Monterey, California, which appeared as the top result.

1940 U.S. Census, Monterey, Monterey, California, Roll T627_268,
E. D. 27-34, page 83A, lines 9-10, record for Edgar C. Rust and Elizabeth Rust

The detail shows much more accurate information than what I found at their home in Massachusetts, which now I'm sure was reported by a neighbor because they were in California, where I understand they spent several months each year.


Edgar Rust is 57 years old, born in Massachusetts, with four years of college. Elizabeth is 42 years old, born in Illinois, with four years of high school. In 1935, they lived in Chestnut Hill (part of Boston), Massachusetts.


Here, Edgar reports that, although he didn't work in the previous week (the two empty columns before his job title), his occupation is corporation executive in the industry storage warehouse, making $5,000 working 52 weeks in 1939.

So my grandmother and her second husband were enumerated twice in the 1940 census! Now I wonder if the photo of dad and his stepfather that I shared in April was taken somewhere near Monterey.

No comments:

Post a Comment