Saturday, October 31, 2015

Samuel Greeley (d. 1798) - 52 Ancestors #44

For this week's 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks writing challenge from blogger Amy Crow Johnson of No Story Too Small, the theme is Frightening: Do you have an ancestor who did something frightening or lived through a scary event? Do you have your own ghost story in the family? Now is the perfect time to share!

Awhile back, when I was researching my Greeley line (the five Samuels in a row: See Surname Saturday ~ Greeley (Greele) of Salisbury, Massachusetts), I found that several ancestors are buried in what is considered a haunted cemetery in Wilton, New Hampshire.

Samuel Greele (or Greeley) was born on September 29, 1752, in Hudson, New Hampshire, to Samuel Greele and Abigail Blodgett. According to the DAR's Genealogical Research Service, "Samuel Greeley, Jr." is recognized as a Revolutionary War Patriot for his patriotic service because he "signed the association test" in "Nottingham West," New Hampshire. His Patriot Number is A047896.

He married Olive Read on November 8, 1779, in Nottingham West (which is now known as Hudson) and died at age 45, leaving a widow and six children, ranging in age from 17 to a year and a half.

I previously shared information about his burial in Tombstone Tuesday ~ Samuel Greele Killed By The Fall of a Tree, where I noted that he died on September 25, 1798, in Wilton, New Hampshire, and is buried at Vale End Cemetery in Wilton, New Hampshire, between his wife and his father, Samuel, also a Revolutionary War patriot. (See his memorial here.)

Source: Find A Grave photographer Cindy Schultz

SAMUEL GREELE,
who was suddenly killed
by the fall of a tree, on
the 25th of Sep. 1798 in
the 46th year of his age.

Whenever I find out about a cemetery where an ancestor is buried, I do a little looking around, especially if the cemetery is driving distance from where I live in Massachusetts.

Imagine my surprise when I found some rather scary stories about Vale End Cemetery online, originally at Hollow Hill website, and which now can be found at Ghosts101.com. Start with [NH] Wilton – Vale End’s ‘Blue Lady’ Ghost.


At this website, enter Vale End in the search box for additional scary stories about this cemetery. I don't know if one of my ancestors is haunting the cemetery, but they are buried there.

Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment