Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Tombstone Tuesday ~ James McAlpin

I wrote about looking for my third great grandfather's gravestone last fall. I did not find the gravestone, much less take a photograph, as the cemetery is completely overgrown, and we were advised not to try to go into the "forest" due to the possibility of sinkholes. Because it was October, there were still many leaves on the trees and lots of undergrowth, making it difficult, anyway.

Thank you to my second cousin, Harriet, who pointed me to a photo album on Facebook, which included the following picture.

Credit: Stephanie LaRose, www.stephanielarosephotography.com
Our father
James McAlpin
Born      Died
1780      1849

I thank Stephanie LaRose for allowing me to share her photograph here. She noted that she took this photo this past January, when the ground was frozen, and since there was little snow this past winter, this cemetery was relatively accessible.

Interestingly, Google Maps, which is constantly updating its satellite photos, now shows the following view for this area. You'd never know there is a cemetery behind this church.

Reformed Church of Beacon, NY, from Google Maps (12 June 2012)

My descent from James McAlpin > David Hunter McAlpin > Frances Adelaide McAlpin > Charles McAlpin Pyle > Charles McAlpin Pyle, Jr. > me.

4 comments:

  1. Good stroke of luck, and Stephanie took a really nice photo, I love how the trees are inbetween the stones. Now, for your google map photo, how did you get this, was it with the print screen, then saved as a jpeg? Every time I attempt this, my pictures are so small. Thanks Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara, thanks for the comment. For the google map photo, it's a screen capture. On a Mac, I click 4, then click in one corner, dragging until I've captured the image I need, then release the mouse. This creates a .png screenshot file on my desktop. I'm not sure what the equivalent is on a Windows computer.

      Delete
  2. Awesome, Elizabeth-- I'm so glad you were able to find this! Yes, walking around in even newer well-kept cemeteries can be a bit dangerous. You're so busy looking at names that it's hard to watch your step.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I agree - I've done some stumbling as I walk through cemeteries looking at names and not where I'm walking. If I do get to visit this one again, I will be walking v e r y c a r e f u l l y .

      Thanks for the comment.

      Delete