Sunday, November 10, 2013

Sunday's Obituary ~ Diana Whitman 1861

I mentioned the death of my 3rd great-grandmother in yesterday's Surname Saturday~Whitman post. Several years ago, I found the following death notice in Ancestry.com's New York, Death Newspaper Extracts, 1801-1890 (Barber Collection):

New York Evening Post, April 26, 1861

This was helpful, because at that time, I didn't know if her daughter Esther Abigail Whitman's family was still in Guysborough County, Nova Scotia or not. This meant that the Whitmans also moved to New York City from Nova Scotia, possibly following their daughter and future son-in-law, James Pyle.

More recently, I found the following New York Times death notice:

The New York Times, April 26, 1861
WHITMAN. - In this City [New York], on Thursday, April 25, after a lingering illness, DIANA wife of Thomas C. Whitman, Sr. in the [57]th year of her age.
Funeral services will be held at the residence of James Pyle, No. 67 North Moore St., this Friday morning at 8 1/2 o'clock. Friends of the family are invited to attend, without further notice.

This does tell me that her funeral was held at the home of her son-in-law. (Her daughter was about 6 months pregnant with her fifth child.) However, I wish this death notice had more information about her ancestry.

No comments:

Post a Comment