Saturday, January 4, 2014

Saturday Night Genealogy Fun ~ What's Your Ancestor Score?

Randy Seaver has given a challenge that he gave us awhile ago:

1) Determine how complete your genealogy research is. For background, read Crista Cowan's post Family History All Done? What’s Your Number? and Kris Stewart's What Is Your Genealogy "Score?" For comparison purposes, keep the list to 10 or 11 generations with you as the first person.

2) Create a table similar to Crista's second table, and fill it in however you can (you could create an Ahnentafel (Ancestor Name) list and count the number in each generation, or use some other method). Tell us how you calculated the numbers.

3) Show us your table, and calculate your "Ancestral Score" - what is your percentage of known names to possible names (1,023 for 10 generations).

I did this challenge back in August 2012 and so to update my chart, I ran a new Ahnentafel report for ten generations of my ancestors and counted the names. I then updated the spreadsheet that I had created the last time I did this.


My "Ancestral Score" is 436 known names to 1,023 possible names in ten generations for a percentage of 42.6%, an increase of .6% (six names) since the last time I calculated this.

The changes are on my mother's side, because of my current research on my Scottish immigrant ancestors. (John Alston and David Freeland).

If I went out to fifteen generations, the percentage found column would get much smaller.

2 comments:

  1. 42.6% isn't bad, actually. Too much math for me to figure out myself, ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I'm too busy trying to get a few blog posts out each month to research my 5th, 6th, 7th etc. g-grands and add to this table. And the math isn't that hard, especially if you use a spreadsheet ;-)

      Delete