1. What year was your paternal grandfather born? Divide this number by 100 and round the number off to a whole number. This is your "roulette number."
2. Use your pedigree charts or your family tree genealogy software program to find the person with that number in your ancestral name list (some people call it an "ahnentafel"). Who is that person?
3. Tell us three facts about that person in your ancestral name list with the "roulette number."
1. My paternal grandfather, Charles McAlpin Pyle, was born in 1893. Dividing by 100 and rounding gives me 19 as a roulette number.
2. Number 19 in my ancestral list is Frances Adelaide Rose, born August 23, 1829, died November 28, 1870, at age 41.
3. Three facts about Frances Adelaide Rose:
* She is descended from Mayflower passengers, John Howland (1592-1672/3) and Elizabeth Tilley (1607-1687).
* Married to David Hunter McAlpin (1816-1901), she gave birth to nine sons:
Douglas P. McAlpin (1846-1847)
Edwin Augustus McAlpin (1848-1917)
David Hunter McAlpin, Jr. (1851-1853)
Joseph Rose McAlpin (1853-1888)
George Lodowick McAlpin (1856-1922)
William Willet McAlpin (1858-1925)
David Hunter McAlpin, Jr. (1862-1934)
Charles Williston McAlpin (1865-1942)
John Randolph McAlpin (1870-1893)
and one daughter: Frances Adelaide McAlpin (1860-1937), my great grandmother.
* The death notice in the New York Times indicates that she died suddenly on the morning of Monday, November 28, 1870. (I need to look for a death certificate, as I don't know what she died of, though giving birth to ten children in 24 years would certainly qualify as exhaustion!)
|New York Times, November 29, 1870|