Sunday, December 9, 2012

James Adsit's Parents in New York State

There is a biographical sketch written about my second great-grandfather, James Monroe Adsit in Album of genealogy and biography, Cook County, Illinois: with portraits (1899). You can tell from this biographical sketch that this is a family that knew about its roots!

In this sketch, James' parents are mentioned as Leonard Adsit and Frances Davenport. The last U.S. Federal Census that Leonard Adsit appears in is in 1810. Back then, the federal government was really just counting people and only listed the names of the head of household. (It wasn't until 1850 that we get to see the names of everyone in the household.) The remaining household members are indicated by numbers in the columns to the right. I enjoy the challenge of figuring out who is represented by the numbers in the columns of these pre-1850 censuses.

1810 U.S. Federal Census. Hillsdale, Columbia, New York; Roll: 31; Page: 666; Line: 20.

The headings for the columns that follow the head of household's name are as follows:


The three Free White Males Under 10 are likely Leonard's three oldest sons: Albert, age 2; Arunah, age 2; and James, age 1.
The fourth column, the Male 26-44 is Leonard.
The last number is in the column for Free White Females 26-44 and is his wife, Frances (Davenport) Adsit, also known as Fanny.

I found the following image at AmericanAncestors.org.

"Abstracts of Wills, Administrations and Guardianships in NY State, 1787 - 1835", AmericanAncestors.org, New England Historic Genealogical Society, p 1985. Administration of Estate of Leonard Adsit.
Page 109
Adm of the Estate of Leonard Adsit
late of Sherburne, Chenango Co, died
intestate. Granted to Fanny Adsit,
widow of Leonard Adsit, Dec'd, as
Admix.
Seal third Feb 1817.

His FindAGrave memorial indicates that he died September 10, 1816. He is buried at the Sherburne East Hill Cemetery, in Sherburne, Chenango County, New York.

6 comments:

  1. Elizabeth,

    Nice to meet you today on GeneaBloggers. I went to the Pie Chart. That's a great idea. I appreciated you comment about proof reading. I'm especially bad when I write comments. I'm always deleting and rewriting my comments. I like blogging because I can go in and change things. With a book, it's permanent unless I publish a new edition. After two months of being on GeneaBloggers, I can say this is a great fit for me--not sure about my readers yet. My blog is a work in progress.

    Regards,
    Grant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. Note the pie chart idea came from a Randy Seaver Saturday Night Genealogy Fun idea. I also take too much time when I'm writing comments - glad to know I'm not alone!
      Thanks for reading and commenting.

      Delete
  2. I wanted to stop by and say hello! I found you from the post on GeneaBloggers. I really enjoyed reading and going through your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and I'm glad you enjoyed my posts. Thanks again for the reminder to fix my surnames page.

      Delete
  3. Elizabeth, I have been enjoying both your blogs for awhile before the mention in Geneabloggers. They really are good. I am not much a blogger but really enjoy reading them . Did you get the Will information about Mr. Adsit from the free database of New York Will at American Ancestors ??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abstracts of Wills, Administrations and Guardianships in NY State, 1787 - 1835 is the name of the NEHGS database at AmericanAncestors.org where I found this will abstract. No, I don't believe it's in the free database. This is one database that you need membership to access.

      Thanks for reading and commenting. Glad you enjoy the blog posts!

      Delete