Wednesday, July 3, 2013

(Almost) Wordless Wednesday ~ From a Copeland Photo Album

I have pieces of an old photo album from my maternal grandfather, Lowell Townsend Copeland (b. 1900). It's in pieces because at some point, according to some writing in it, the pages were divided between my grandfather and his sisters, Betty and Ruth. The child in these photographs is my grandfather, age about 21 months. I don't know who the adults are in the photos.

September 1902

One of the bottom photos is loose and on the back is written:


Grandmother this is your
boy with the Ambulance
his Grandfather G. gave him
Sept. 1902

I am guessing that "Grandmother" is his paternal grandmother, Sarah (Lowell) Copeland (1833-1916) who lived in Maine in 1902. "Your boy" is of course, my grandfather, Lowell Townsend Copeland. I am guessing that "his Grandfather G" is Samuel Sewall Greeley. His family lived in Winnetka, Illinois.

Look closely - the ambulance is horse-drawn.


No comments:

Post a Comment