Thursday, June 19, 2014

Leaves Million to Wife (February 1912)

While I was searching for obituaries for my great grandfather, James Tolman Pyle, I came across this interesting article at the Library of Congress' ChroniclingAmerica newspaper website.

"Leaves Million To Wife," New York Tribune (New York NY), 18 February 1912, p. 8, col. 5,
ChroniclingAmerica (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov)

Although this article doesn't mention it, there had been four codicils, or updates, to his March 3, 1888 will, which I found in the New York Probate records at FamilySearch.org.

"The will names William S. Pyle and Joseph R. McAlpin, the testator's brother-in-law, as executors."

His brother, William S. Pyle, had died six years earlier and Joseph R. McAlpin died in April 1888, several weeks after the will was executed. (These facts are what prompted me to explore the New York Probate records at FamilySearch.org.)

You can read more about James Pyle & Sons here.

2 comments:

  1. I love it when you post on this branch of your family, they were so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Karen. Yes, this branch is interesting!

      Delete