Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Veterans Day ~ Charles M. Pyle, Jr. in WWII

My dad, Charles McAlpin Pyle, Jr., briefly served as a Lieutenant in the U.S. Air Force towards the end of World War II. He was a navigator in a B-24 and would have seen a great deal more action had the war not ended in August 1945.

Here are some photos of him, likely taken in June 1944. He turned 20 years old that month.



Austin Studios, California


During his training, he was in Hawaii and sent the following to his mother and step-father:


[From:] Lt. Charles M Pyle, Jr.
6-2074780
C.C.R.C., Crew 44315
A.P.O 966, ℅ Post
San Francisco, Cal.

[To:] Mr. and Mrs. Edgar C. Rust
The White Elephant
Nantucket, Mass.

I think this was postmarked July 10, 1945 and the stamp toward the bottom looks like it was approved by the censor. Inside he innocuously wrote:


                      Greetings from HAWAIIAN ISLANDS
Hi -
It's a beautiful spot, and perhaps someday
we'll all be able to see it together. Saw some
of the sights on the way in.
                                           Love, Chas.

This first image is "Sunset on Diamond Head, Honolulu." It unfolds to show more than a dozen images of various sights in Hawaii.

If Dad spoke much about his service, unfortunately, I didn't pay much attention because I wasn't interested at the time. He died on April 12, 1993.

3 comments:

  1. Aww. what a cool post. Your dad was so handsome, with a gorgeous smile. I see quite a bit of him in you. That postcard would be addressed to his mother and stepfather, right? I remember you writing about your mom remarrying Edgar Rust (dang, I can't remember where I put stuff half the time, but I remember that? Ha).

    Anyway, thanks for sharing, and thanks to your dad for his service. May his memory be eternal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, yes the postcard was sent to his mother and stepfather. The thing that floors me is that my oldest son is just a few months older than my dad was in these photos!

      Thank you for your lovely comment.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely tribute to your father! I also immediately noticed your father's wonderful smile. He looks like he would have been a fun person to know. I also often wish I had paid more attention to the stories that my parents told me. I can remember bits and pieces of many stories, but somehow the details often remain elusive.

    ReplyDelete