Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Wordless Wednesday ~ Grandfather and Greeley Cousin?

My grandfather, Lowell Townsend Copeland, was born in December 1900 in Winnetka, Illinois. His maternal grandfather was Samuel Sewall Greeley, who had several children with his first wife before she died. They all lived in the Chicago area and my grandfather was close to his Greeley cousins. In fact, my mother stayed in touch with some Greeley second cousins for many years.

I think this might be a Greeley cousin playing in the snow in Winnetka, Illinois, sometime in the first decade of the last century. He looks like he is showing off the snow tunnel that he has just dug.


And I think this is the same boy in the go-cart with my grandfather leaning on the cart behind him.



His half-first cousins on his maternal grandfather's side include:
Samuel A. Greeley (1882-1968), son of Frederick Greeley (1856-1912)
Morris L. Greeley (1893-1982), Sidney F. Greeley (1894-1988), and Joseph May Greeley (1902-1996), sons of Morris Larned Greeley (1863-1945)

If any Greeley cousins can confirm the identity of this boy, please let me know if my theory is correct.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know about the second photograph, but I'm pretty sure that's my grandfather and namesake Joseph May Greeley in the first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have looked closely at both of these and I'm pretty sure that it's the same boy. Feel free to contact me (see the contact me section in the right-hand sidebar) and perhaps we can share additional information about our common second great-grandfather, Samuel Sewall Greeley!

      Delete