Wednesday, August 7, 2024

Amos Townsend ~ 52 Ancestors #32

I am not fully convinced of all the details that I shared in the Surname Saturday post about this ancestral line and I am trying to find additional information on my Townsend ancestors.

While I work on the Townsend family, I will share two brief advertisements that I found that mentioned my 4th great-grandfather, Dr. Amos Townsend (1779-1862), of Norridgewock, Maine.

Kennebec (Maine) Journal, 20 August 1830, p. 4

Davenport's Celebrated Eye Water!
   Which needs only be used, to be highly approved
of for all sorts of weak and sore eyes. From among
the numerous certificates offered in favor of this
excellent collyrium, one only will be published
from Dr Amos Townsend of Norridgewock.
   This may certify I have used Davenport's Eye
Water in a number of cases and have never known
it to fail in one instance.           AMOS TOWNSEND.
   February 23, 1830.

And I guess Dr. Townsend continued to support this "Eye Water" because two years later, he is still mentioned in the advertisement in the Kennebec Journal.

Kennebec (Maine) Journal, 7 September 1832, p. 4

Davenport's Celebrated Eye Water! 
 
   Which has been applied with great success to weak,
sore and inflamed eyes, in all stages.
From Doct. Townsend:
   Mr. Daniell,—I have prescribed Davenport's celebra-
ted Eye Water to those afflicted with sore eyes, and
have never known it fail to cure in any instance.
                                               AMOS TOWNSEND.
Norridgewock, Me. Feb. 22, 1830.
   A fresh supply just received and for sale in Augusta,
by E. Fuller, Willard Snell, and Tappan & Mann; in
Vassalborough, by E. Robinson, J. Butterfield, G.
Carlton and J. R. Abbot; in Winslow, by S. & J. Ea-
ton; in Watervile, by D. Cook, and J. Plaisted; in
Clinton, by J. & S. Lunt; in Albion, by Mr. Baker; in
Milburn; by S. & D. C. Weston; in Bloomfield J.
Farrar & Son; in Fairfield, by C. Latham; in Norridge
wock, by S. Sylvester, D. Townsend, A. Manley and
C. Fletcher; in Anson, D. Stewart, Jr. and F. Smith; in
Dixmont, by W. Upham; in Troy, by Butman & John-
son, and by the Druggists in Hallowell, Portland, &c.
    [hand pointing right] All orders directed to J. DANIELL, the sole
Proprietor, Dedham, Mass. will receive prompt atten-
tion.
April 2.

I wonder what he got in return for helping to promote this "Eye Water."

I descend from Amos Townsend as follows:

Amos Townsend
|
Julia Elvira Townsend
|
Henry Clay Copeland
|
Lowell Copeland
|
Lowell Townsend Copeland
|
My mother
|
Me

This week's theme is Free Space.

No comments:

Post a Comment