Monday, November 14, 2011

Amanuensis Monday ~ Chapin Family Sampler

An Amanuensis is a person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another. Not only do the documents contain genealogical information, the words breathe life into kin – some we never met – others we see a time in their life before we knew them.

On the wall of my parents' bedroom when I was growing up was a framed sampler that had come down in my father's family. When my mother downsized, I was given this wonderful sampler. Now that I have a Flip-Pal scanner, I tried scanning it. The scan came out pretty well despite the fact that I scanned it through the glass. Due to the frame, the scan does not go all the way out to the edges of the sampler, but you do see just about all of it below.

Embroidered sampler wrought by my great great grandmother, Susan Arville Chapin.

The transcription is below:



My descent from Orramel Chapin and Susan Rood > Susan Arville Chapin > Charles Chapin Adsit > Elizabeth Adsit > Charles McAlpin Pyle, Jr. > me.

Note that Susan Rood has been a brick wall for me for a very long time. If anyone is familiar with this surname, please contact me!

Amanuensis Monday is a daily blogging prompt from GeneaBloggers, the genealogy community's resource for blogging. It is used by many genealogy bloggers to help them tell stories of their ancestors.

4 comments:

  1. How wonderful that you have not only a wonderful heirloom, but one that actually gives you family history info. A second cousin of mine has our 3rd great-grandmother's wedding ring and mirror!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen - thanks for reading and commenting. It wasn't until I was an adult that I realized how special this family heirloom is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth, what a lovely sampler. I've never seen the name Rood, but will keep my eyes open for it. The sampler needs ancestors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barbara, thanks for reading and yes, if you find the name Rood anywhere in western Mass, or possibly NY or CT, do let me know. I do have Chapins and Adsits traced.

    ReplyDelete