Monday, September 12, 2011

52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History ~ Earliest Memory

Week 37: Earliest Memory. What is your earliest memory?

Duncan A. Pyle (1967-1986)
at age 1
By the time I was three, I had two younger brothers; the younger one, Duncan, was born about two weeks before my third birthday. I remember crouching on the floor of the kitchen of our house in Dedham, Massachusetts, looking into a basket or bassinet on the floor at my baby brother, who seemed so small to me, so it would have been around or just after my third birthday.

A more distinct memory is from when my mother gave birth to her last child, about 18 months later. When she was on her way to the hospital, I asked her to bring me home a younger sister. When she arrived home with my newest sibling (another boy), I remember having a tantrum and yelling at her that I had asked for a baby sister and not another brother! (My mother has no recollection of my tantrum.)


52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History by Amy Coffin is a series of weekly blogging prompts (one for each week of 2011) that invite genealogists and others to record memories and insights about their own lives for future descendants.

3 comments:

  1. Of course, I am glad your mother brought home that baby boy, but the story still makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I should have noted that of course I love my brothers, but as a little girl, I really wanted a sister. Thanks for reading and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My earliest memory is also the birth of my brother. My grandmother was supposed to care for me when my mother went into labor--and my mother had difficulty making the long distance call and spent a lot of time talking with the telephone operator. In the end, the operator got the call through and my grandmother arrived in time. (And for the longest time after that I thought that telephone operators were miracle workers and wanted to become one when I grew up.)

    ReplyDelete