Monday, April 1, 2024

Favorite Recipe: Spiced Pecans ~ 52 Ancestors #14

In recent years, my mother downsized a couple of times and had consolidated her recipes at the family summer house. When my siblings and I were emptying the kitchen for a renovation, I was given my mother's collection of recipe boxes. This week's theme prompted me to take them out of the bag and see what I have.


It appears that she copied recipes to have at two different residences (and possibly to give away), because I see multiple copies of the same recipes in these boxes. (One being Hermit Cookies, which I blogged about over a dozen years ago.) There are recipes in my grandmother's handwriting, recipes from other relatives and friends, and many cut from newspapers.

Here's a favorite of my mother, me, and my family, in my mother's handwriting.

SPICED PECANS

3/4 C sugar
dash salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 extra large egg white
2 1/2 T. water
4 C. (1 bag) Smith Pecans [usually obtained in a fall fundraiser from a local Smith College Club which gets them from Mascot Pecans in Georgia]

Combine first 6 ingredients in small bowl. In a large bowl, beat egg white with fork until foamy. Add water; add sugar mixture and combine to form syrup. Add nuts and coat thoroughly. spread thinly on greased cookie sheet [I use parchment paper] and bake

 

1/2 hour @ 275°. Turn nuts w. two forks and bake 1/2 hour more. Cool on cookie sheet. Lift carefully & store in air tight containers.

Here is a photograph that I took for a personal cookbook that I'm making for myself.

 

This week's theme is Favorite Recipe.



No comments:

Post a Comment