Monday, May 16, 2011

My father's father's family in 1920: Mystery Monday

I continue to work backwards in telling my family history. Last week, I shared the 1920 census record of my maternal grandmother's family, the Hunters of Pittsburgh, Penn. This week I would like to share my father's parents' census record for 1920.

U.S. Federal Census 1920; Census Place: Manhattan Assembly District 15, New York, New York; Roll: T625_1213; Page: 6B; Enumeration District: 1094; Ancestry.com image: 1001; Record for Charles Pyle
Lines 81-83 show Charles Pyle (indexed as Pyles), his wife Elizabeth Pyle, and a servant, Helen Quid or Quiol. He rented his apartment at 106 East 85th Street in Manhattan. He is 27 and she is 24. (Ages are not quite accurate. He turned 27 in September of 1920, and she turned 23 in June of 1920.) This census was taken in January of 1920; they had not yet been married a year. Charles is listed as being born in New York (actually he was born in New Jersey), with parents both born in New York. Elizabeth is listed as having been born in Illinois, with both parents also born in Illinois. (Actually her mother was born in Kentucky.) Their servant, a maid, was born in New Jersey to parents born in Canada and Ireland.

In two right hand columns of the census are "trade, profession, or particular kind of work done" and "Industry, business or establishment of work done." I can read that his trade is Manager, but what is the industry he works in? Automobile Co.? Now, that is a mystery to me, as in 1930 he was a "Broker" in "Stocks" and I never knew anyone in my family to be in the automobile industry.



Mystery Monday is a daily blogging prompt from GeneaBloggers, the genealogy community’s resource for blogging. It is used by many genealogy bloggers to help them tell stories of their ancestors.

No comments:

Post a Comment