Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Wedding Wednesday: High Society 1919

My paternal grandparents, Elizabeth Adsit and Charles McAlpin Pyle married on March 1, 1919, in Chicago, Illinois. The following original newspaper clipping is from a Chicago newspaper.
Wedding announcement of my grandparents
Elizabeth (known as Libby, even to her grandchildren) is the woman in the middle of the photograph. Charles is the inset photo. The following notice is from the New York Times of March 2, 1919:


And their marriage certificate from the FamilySearch.org website:

Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871-1920, index and images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org) for Charles Pyle and Elizabeth Adsit, married March 1, 1919; citing Marriage Records, FHL microfilm 1,030,692; Illinois Department of Public Health, Division of Vital Records, Springfield, Illinois.
They divorced in August 1933, and my father (born in 1924) was their only child. Libby remarried about a week after her divorce from Charles was finalized, and was very happy in her second marriage. Charles married two more times, and I think was relatively happy in his third marriage. I never knew my paternal grandfather; he died when I was a toddler. My father didn't talk about him much.

However, my father was devoted to his mother, and I did know my grandmother, Libby, well. She died in 1983, before I had developed my interest in genealogy. I wish I'd had a chance to discuss family history with her, as I know (from materials I have inherited) that she was interested in family history.

2 comments:

  1. Very snazzy! I would love to have been at that wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That clipping! Wow, such a treasure! All the grandparents of mine and my husband's died before I got started in genealogy. Oh how I wish I'd started two decades before I did!

    ReplyDelete