Monday, April 29, 2013

Distant Cousin Horace Greeley

Horace Greeley (1811-1872) is my 4th cousin 4 times removed on my mother's side. He was a newspaper editor, politician, and abolitionist. He founded and edited the New York Tribune, a prominent and influential newspaper from the 1840's - 1870's. Wikipedia has an extensive article about him.


He persuaded my paternal second great-grandfather, James Pyle, of the benefit of newspaper advertising. Following is from James Pyle's 1900 New York Daily Tribune obituary. (See James Pyle & Sons for more about my second great-grandfather.)


You can see James Pyle's full New York Times obituary here, which also includes this story.

I wrote about my Greeley ancestry here, where I mention the basic secondary source for the Greeley family: George Hiram Greeley, Genealogy of the Greely-Greeley Family (Boston, Mass.: 1905), which can be found at Google Books and the Internet Archive. Pages 671-673 include information about the life of Horace Greeley.

Andrew Greele
|
Joseph Greele
|
---------------------------
|                            |
Samuel Greele      Benjamin Greele
|                            |
Samuel Greele     Ezekiel Greele
|                            |
Samuel Greele     Zaccheus Greele
|                            |
Samuel Greele    Zaccheus Greeley
|                            |
Samuel Sewall Greeley   Horace Greeley
|
Ethel May Greeley
|
Lowell Townsend Copeland
|
My mother
|
Me

Horace Greeley is buried in Green-Wood Cemetery in New York. You can see a memorial for Horace Greeley at Find A Grave, where my second great-grandfather, James Pyle is also buried.

No comments:

Post a Comment