Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Tombstone Tuesday ~ Freeland Plot at Union Dale Cemetery Pittsburgh

A continuation of my August 2017 visit to Union Dale Cemetery in Pittsburgh brings us to the Freeland plot.


There are five burials in this plot:

James FreelandNancy Rainey FreelandEdward C. FreelandEmma L. FreelandA. Claudine Freeland
Died March 1, 1863Died Dec. 30, 1903Died Feb. 15, 1877Died July 12, 1893Died June 14, 1952
FatherMotherBrotherSisterSister

James Freeland and Nancy Rainey Freeland are my third great-grandparents. For the longest time I only knew that James died in 1863. It was not until I discovered these cemetery records that I could confirm March 1, 1863, was his death date.



His wife, Nancy Rainey Freeland, never remarried and, as you can see, survived him by over forty years. As a genealogist, I love that her maiden name was included on her gravestone. (Though I wish her birth date was!)



Of their five children, the three who never married are buried with them. Edward (died age 19 or 20) and Emma (died 35 or 36) were twins. Anna Claudine died at 97.

Their daughter, Mary Freeland, is buried with her husband in the Hunter Plot at Union Dale.

To find this family at FindAGrave, start at James Freeland's memorial.

No comments:

Post a Comment